What is farming?
Farming is one of the core features of Castaways. Currently, there are only 2 types of crops, Sugar Cane and Palm Tree. Sugar Cane can be harvested and the plant directly replanted on Grass. Palm Trees yield wood and Coconuts, and the coconuts can be planted on Sand or Grass to grow more palm trees.
With the Homestead Update more Crops will be introduced, but in order to grow these crops the player first needs to gather the corresponding Seeds. They can drop from Treasure Chests or from the Bird Feeder. Note, these new crops will NOT drop additional seeds, and the treasure chests and the bird feeder will be the only way to get more seeds.
With the Homestead update, the game will have day and night cycles.
- During the day, birds will come to Bird Feeders to eat the fish inside, and will poop. In the poop you can find seeds used to plant crops.
- In order to plant the seeds, you need to till the soil using a Wood Hoe or Stone Hoe
- The crops will need to be watered using a Watering Can if there is no Rain. Occasionally when watering a Worm will appear.
- During the night, birds will come to eat your crops. You can scare them away using a Flare Gun or by placing a Scarecrow.
- When the crops are mature they can be harvested for their corresponding fruit (e.g. Corn seeds will yield Corn, tomato seeds will yield Tomatos)
- You CANNOT replant the fruit from crops that grow from seed
For a complete list of seeds that be planted, please refer to Seeds.
Step 1- Hoe the Grass, Get the Dirt
Make a Hoe => Hoe the grass => Grass becomes plantable dirt!
Step 2- Feed thy Birds, Get thy Seeds
There are two ways of getting seeds right now.
1. Open the Treasure Chest, you may get seeds.
2. Make Bird Feeder, feed the bird, and get seeds from their poops.
1. Place the Bird Feeder.
2. Put Fish into it, the rarer the fish, the more likely you will get rare seeds.
3. Wait for the seagull and when they come, get their poops!
Step 3- Plant the seed, Water the life
Seeds need to be watered every 24 hours, there are two ways of watering.
1. Wait for the rain, it will water the seeds automatically.
2. Use Watering Can.
Notes: You might get worm by watering! Worms can used to enhance your chance of getting big fish when fishing.
Step 4- Shoo the birds, Protect your plants
At night time, seagulls will come and try to destroy your plants. You must protect your plants against seagulls!
There are two ways of doing that.
1. Use Flare Gun. Remember, each flare gun can only be used once.
2. Make Scarecrow, and place them besides your plants.
Step 5- Take your time, Wait for Harvest
Plants take 1 ~ 28 days to grow, depending on which type of seeds you're using and what your soil quality/type is.
Mind the wither Time, If you don't harvest ripe plants in time, they will wither and eventually die!
You can refer to the charts below.<be>
How to Get More Dirt?
Dirt is the essence of Castaways's Farming System. Crops and Trees(except for Palm Tree must be planted on Dirt. But how to get more Dirt?
Well, there are two ways for you to get Dirt at this moment.
Hoe the Grass
Each island starts with 12 Grass. You can use Wood Hoe or Stone Hoe to transform them into Dirt.
However, this process is irrevocable. So make up your mind before you do that.
Make a Hoe => Hoe the Grass => Grass becomes plantable Dirt!
Synthesize with Composter
A more sustainable way to get Dirt is by using Composter.
To synthesize Dirt, you need sand and crops.
Sand: Dirt ratio is 1:1, while Crops: Dirt ratio depends on which type of crops you're using.
For example, you need 2 Carrots for 1 Dirt, but with Cabbage, the ratio is 1:1.
The use of composter is the same as Furnace with only one exception--you need to left-click the composter.
When the Dirt appears, break it! This is how you synthesize Dirt.
Put Sand and Crops into Composter => Left-Click the Composter => Break the Dirt
|Per Crops||Dirt Output|
Plants Growth Chart
|Icon||Crop||Crop||Type||Time to Grow||Reproduce time||Stages||Harvest||Wither Time (2x)|
|Carrots||Crop||1 day||5||1||2 days|
|Cabbage||Crop||2 days||5||1||4 days|
|Yam||Crop||4 days||5||1||8 days|
|Strawberry||Crop||Keeps producing after maturity||7 days||3 days||5||1||14/6 days|
|Coffee||Crop||Keeps producing after maturity||10 days||2 days||5||1||20/4 days|
|Tomato||Crop||Keeps producing after maturity||11 days||4 days||5||1||22/8 days|
|Corn||Crop||Keeps producing after maturity||14 days||4 days||5||1||28/8 days|
|Pineapple||Crop||Keeps producing after maturity||14 days||7 days||5||1||28/14 days|
|Banana||Tree||Keeps producing after maturity||28 days||14 days||4||1|
|Passion Fruit||Tree||Keeps producing after maturity||28 days||14 days||4||1|
|Mango||Tree||Keeps producing after maturity||28 days||14 days||4||1|
|Guava||Tree||Keeps producing after maturity||28 days||14 days||4||1|
|Orange||Tree||Keeps producing after maturity||28 days||14 days||4||1|
|Lemon||Tree||Keeps producing after maturity||28 days||14 days||4||1|
Soil quality and type chart
|Soil Type||Carrots||Cabbage||Yam||Strawberry||Coffee||Tomato||Corn||Pineapple||Banana||Passion Fruit||Mango||Guava||Orange||Lemon|
This meter is the efficiency of how well something grows in the soil on your island. If the soil is 100%, then things will grow at a rate of 100% what they should be.
Excellent - 140%
Great - 120%
Good - 100%
Okay - 80%
Poor - 60%